Connect to SSH or SFTP with Managed WordPress
This article only applies to WHC's Managed WordPress Hosting. For web hosting or Cloud/Dedicated servers, please consult the SFTP or SSH articles.
Managed WordPress Hosting provides 2 popular methods to connect and manage your files:
- SFTP: this is the preferred method for transferring files using an FTP software such as FileZilla.
- SSH: this a popular method that allows developers or power users to manage their account through the command line (also called Shell access) with tools like Terminal (Max/Linux) or Putty (Windows).
To access your account using one of these methods:
- Log in to your Client Area
- Click on your Managed WordPress service
- Scroll down and find the section SFTP & SSH Access. Here you'll note:
- Host (IP): your server's address
- User: your username
- Port: the port number
- Change password: If it's the first time connecting, click on the link to set the password you will use
- Now use the above information to connect to your account using the method of your choice: SFTP or SSH.
By default, your website's files are normally located in the public_html folder in your account.