How to add new users to WordPress
With WordPress, multiple administrators or editors can log in and make changes to your website's content, if needed.
Here's how to add an authorized user to your WordPress Dashboard.
- Login in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Select Add New under Users
- Specify a username and the email address of the individual you wish to add. First name, last name and website are optional fields.
- In the password field click Show Password. You may keep the password generated by WordPress or type in the password you wish to use.
- If you don't want the new user to receive an email with their login information, uncheck the box next to Send the new user an email about their account. If sending an email is selected, the new user will get an email with their username, a link to securely change their password and a link to the WordPress Dashboard login page.
- Click the dropdown menu next to Role to select the level of access for the new user, and select one of the following:
- Administrator: Full access to all the features within the site.
- Editor: The user can manage and publish their posts and those of other users.
- Subscriber: The user can only make changes to their profile.
- Contributor: The user can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish posts
- Author: The user can write, manage and publish their own posts.
- SEO editor (added by the Yoast SEO plugin): The user has full access to pages and posts but cannot access the Yoast SEO plugin within the WP dashboard
- SEO manager (added by the Yoast SEO plugin): The user has full access to pages, posts and the SEO Yoast within the WP dashboard.
- Click Add New User.
Congratulations! You’ve added a new user to your WordPress website.
The new user can now log in to the WordPress Dashboard.