How to Use Mailing Lists (Mailman)
A mailing list is used to send an email to a group of individuals. You create the mailing list, which takes the form of an email address. Then, people subscribe to this list (or you add them manually). Emails sent to the mailing list are transmitted to all suscribers. This can be useful, for example, to facilitate communication for a workgroup or a sports team.
To create a MailMan mailing list:
- Login to cPanel.
- In the Mail section, click on Mailing Lists.
- Fill in the required fields in the Create a Mailing List box and click Add mailing list. For this example, we will use the address email@example.com.
- After confirming the creation of the list, return to the previous page. Your new mailing list will appear in the Current Lists section. Click Modify in the list's row to configure its options.
- Enter the password that you chose in step 3 to identify yourself
- You are now in the homepage of the MailMan software. To change the display language to English:
- Click on Language options.
- The section Languages Supported by this list, select English and click on Submit your changes.
- On the same page, change Default Language for this list to English and click on Submit your changes.
- You can now configure your software by changing the various options.
- To subscribe to the list, it is possible to add an email address from the administrative interface, or to allow new subscribers to register directly at:
Replace domain.com with your domain name and list with the name of your list.
Please note that each account on the server is limited to a maximum of 300 emails per hour in order to prevent a significant degradation of the server's performance. For larger rates, please contact our sales team for offers of commercial mailing list.
To send unidirectional emails (administator's email sent to subscribers, subscribers cannot send back to the list), or if you want to send more than 300 emails in one shot, the free software phplist is recommended. It is available in automatic installation via Fantastico.
Article ID: # HC5044