How to Create Email Auto-Responders
What is an email auto-responder, and how is it useful?
An email auto-responder will automatically send a pre-defined email response to whoever just sent you an email. This can be useful, for example, to confirm that you have received their email and to include useful information about your company and self-help links, or to indicate that you are away on vacation.
How to add an auto-responder
- Connect to cPanel.
- Under Mail, click on Autoresponders.
- Click on the Add AutoResponder button.
- Fill in the required fields:
- Interval (hours) : the delay, in hours, between the reception of a message and the sending of the automated response.
- Email: email address on which the autoresponder will be activated.
- From: email address from which the automatic response will come (can be different from the address specified in the Email field).
- Subject: object of your email.
- Character Set: the encoding of characters in your message; leave the default value.
- HTML Message: if the automated response contains HTML code, check this box; otherwise, do not check it..
- Body: contents of your message.
- Click on Create/Modify.
- Test it by sending a message to the email address from an external address (another server).
Important notice about auto-responders
It is important to understand that an auto-responder will automatically reply to any message received, including SPAM (junk mail). As such, it is possible that by activating an auto-responder you receive a higher amount of SPAM, as well as emails about undelivered messages. This is normal, since SPAM messages are often sent from email addresses that do not exist. Web Hosting Canada does not recommend the use of auto-responders for a prolonged period of time, but instead recommends to limit their use to absences and other temporary circumstances.
Article ID: #HC5035