How to Choose a Good Domain Name
Your domain name is your online identity, and will likely stay with you for years to come! It's important to choose the best possible domain name for your needs.
A domain name consists of a main name (example: mywebsite), followed by a Top Level Domain, or TLD (example: .com). Some domain examples are:
You are free to choose any domain name you please, as long as it hasn't already been reserved by somebody else.
So how do you choose the best possible domain name? Here are some useful tips to get you started:
- Choose a name that's short and easy to remember. Try to avoid domain names that are difficult to spell
- Use a domain name that accurately reflects the contents of your web site
- If you have a corporate web site, use the name of your company as your domain name, if possible.
- Use keywords in your domain name in order to increase search engine rankings.
- It's possible to register multiple domain names and associate them to the same web site, each with their own marketing objective (example: your first domain uses your company's name and your second domain uses popular keywords for optimal Search Engine ranking)
Once you've chosen a name, you should also consider the type of domain (TLD). You have several options:
- .com : available to all, this is the most popular domain type available on the Internet. If available, you should probably choose a .com. Being the most common, it is unfortunately also the most difficult to find since most have already been registered. You'll need to be a little creative to find a good .com domain!
- .ca : stricter eligibility criteria; this type of domain is reserved for Canadian residents or businesses. We strongly recommend .ca domains if you target a Canadian market.
- .net : available to all, .net domains were initially used mainly by tech companies. Today, this extension is used in most commercial sectors and is a good alternative if the .com domain has already been taken.
- .org : avialable to all, and initially used by groups or organizations. Ideal for NGOs and non-profit groups.
- .co : new general-purpose domain launched in 2010 is a great .com alternative. It's a little pricier but being so new its availabilities make it extremely attractive.
- .biz : available to all, used mainly for commercial businesses.
- .info : available to all, used mainly for informational sites.
- .me : available to all, used mainly for personal sites.
Ready to get started? Consult our Domain Names page for prices and to verify the availability of your domain name.
Article ID: #HC5080